Holistic Adrenal Support
Stressful lifestyles are more the rule these days rather than the exception. The adrenal glands are two small organs located on the top of each kidney, which are integral in the body's response to stress. Hormones they secrete can give us the energy and stamina to confront potentially dangerous situations. Long term stressful situations place too much demand on the adrenal glands, causing a condition called adrenal fatigue.
Adrenal fatigue is characterized by chronic fatigue, not feeling rested after a full night's sleep, having more energy in the evenings than the mornings, decreased ability to handle stress, salt cravings, frequent illness related to suppressed immune system, low back pain and weight gain. There are many holistic ways to support the adrenal glands, which can help you manage symptoms, have increased energy, and possibly also lose weight.
Drink 6 – 8 glasses of pure water daily.
Decrease or eliminate your intake of refined sugars and processed grains.
Decrease your consumption of caffeinated and alcoholic beverages.
Eat high protein breakfasts.
Add healthy fats to your diet daily, such as olive oil, coconut oil or clarified butter (ghee).
Cook with a natural salt which contains trace minerals.
Drink 2 - 3 cups of Organic Green Tea daily, preferably Matcha (powdered tea).
- Eat foods high in magnesium, or take a good quality magnesium supplement.
- Supplementation with adaptogen herbs, such as Panax Ginseng or Astragalus.
Aromatherapy : Essential oils for adrenal support
Castor oil packs with therapeutic essential oils applied to the flank areas (sides of the lower back) once or twice daily can be very helpful. Use 10 drops of TIMELESS Adrenal Support Synergy Blend or 4 drops each of Pine Needles (Pinus sylvestris), Black Spruce (Picea mariana) and Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia). For instructions in making castor oil packs, see the TIMELESS blog on Castor Oil Packs.
Massaging the lower back and flanks with the same essential oils above twice daily can also be beneficial. Add 10 - 15 drops essential oil blend to 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of carrier oil. If you don't have someone to help you, and you can't reach the flank areas, you may alternately massage these oils on the adrenal reflex points on the feet (outer sides of the arches). These treatments are stimulating, so it is usually best to do them in the morning and afternoon, so they do not interfere with sleep.
Other methods of using essential oils for adrenal support include diffusion, direct inhalation from the hands or aromatherapy inhaler, or adding oils to a bath. Choose from
- Sweet or Holy Basil (Ocimum basilicum or sanctum),
- Bergamot (Citrus bergamia),
- Black Spruce (Picea mariana),
- Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum),
- Cedarwood Atlas (Cedrus atlantica),
- Roman Chamomile (Anthemis nobile),
- Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea) ,
- Frankincense (Boswellia carterii, frerana or sacra),
- Geramium Rose (Pelargonium graveolens roseum),
- Ginger (Zingiber officinalis),
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia),
- Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis),
- Nutmeg (Myristica fragrans),
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita),
- Pine Needles (Pinus sylvestris),
- Rose Otto (Rosa centifolia),
- Rosemary (Rosemarinus officinalis CT cineol),
- Vanilla (Vanilla planifolia),
- Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanioides)
Get daily exercise, but choose gentle exercises rather than intense workouts.
Take time out every 2-3 hours during the day to simply take several deep, slow breaths.
Turn off electronic devices 2 hours before bedtime, and dim the lights if possible. If you like to read before bed, use a paper book or magazine rather than an electronic book.
Change the mode of your cell phone to "Silent" before bed.
Sleep in a completely dark room.