Essential Oils for Autism and ADHD
Using aromatherapy has been shown to be an effective natural therapy for managing a number of mood and behavior challenges for individuals living with autism and ADHD. Friends and clients have shared information about seven essential oils and synergy blends which they have found particularly useful.
Also see our post ADHD - More Holistic Approaches .
- Cedarwood Himalayan (Cedrus deodara) is stimulating to the pituitary gland and appears to increase melatonin levels in the brain. It is calming, and promotes restful sleep. Add 1-2 drops to a carrier oil and apply to the back of the neck, or diffuse at bedtime. Cedarwood Himalayan
- Earthen Delight Synergy Blend is a delightful, very grounding blend. Add to carrier oil or lotion for topical use, or diffuse. Contains : Ylang Ylang 2nd, Patchouli, Cedarwood Himalayan and Rosewood essential oils. Earthen Delight Synergy Blend
- Frankincense (Boswellia carterii or Boswellia sacra) is stimulating to the limbic system. It is calming , grounding, and promotes concentration. Frankincense can be added to carrier oil and used topically, or diffused. Frankincense Sacred Frankincense
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) has many uses, and with a high linalool content is an important essential oil used for calming. Our wildcrafted High Altitude Lavender has the highest percentage of linalool, and is especially popular with individuals with ADHD and autism. Lavender can be used neat (undiluted) or with a carrier topically. Use 10 - 20 drops in bath water for a relaxing bath. Diffuse at bedtime. Certified Organic Lavender High Altitude Lavender French Lavender Premium Bulgarian Lavender
- Peppermint (Mentha x piperita) also has many uses. It is refreshing, calming and promotes concentration. It can also be used to help ease muscular aches and pains. Add to a carrier oil or lotion for topical use. May irritate sensitive skin. Premium Peppermint Certified Organic Peppermint
- Relaxation Synergy Blend helps relieve tension, promote sleep and lift the spirits. Use 1 - 2 drops in carrier oil or lotion and apply to the back of the neck or feet. (Compare to Young Living brand "Peace and Calming") Contains : Tangerine, Bitter Orange, Ylang Ylang 2nd, Patchouli and Blue Tansy essential oils. Relaxation Synergy Blend
- Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanioides) is very grounding and promotes focus. An extremely soothing and calming oil, it helps reduce irritability and anger. Used regularly, Vetiver can help manage neurotic behaviors. Use with a carrier oil and apply to the back of the neck and down the spine to the shoulder blades. Premium Wildcrafted Vetiver Certified Organic Vetiver
Cautionary Statement : Always review proper use and safety information about each essential oil before use. For detailed information on each essential oil, please refer to their individual listings on this website. When used correctly, these pure essential oils are gentle and generally safe. However, if any negative effects are experienced, discontinue use. For severe reactions, seek immediate medical attention.
Althea Press, Essential Oils : Natural Remedies, 2015. Althea Press, Berkeley, CA.
Battaglia, Salvatore, The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy, Second Edition, 2003. The International Centre of Holistic Aromatherapy, Brisbane, Australia
Cooksley, Valerie Gennari, Aromatherapy : A Holistic Guide to Natural Healing with Essential Oils, 2015. Floramed Publishing, The Woodlands, TX.
Schnaubelt, Kurt, Advanced Aromatherapy: The Science of Essential Oil Therapy, (English translation)1998. Healing Arts Press, Rochester, VT.
Schnaubelt, Kurt, The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils : The Science of Aromatherapy, 2011. Healing Arts Press, Rochester, VT.
Worwood, Valerie Ann, The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy, 1991. New World Library, Novato, California
Notice : This information is for educational purposes only. It has not been evaluated by the US Food and Drug Administration. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any condition or disease, and should not take the place of evaluation by a qualified health professional. Although we strive to provide information which is accurate and up to date, we cannot guarantee the accuracy or completeness of this information.
Precautions : Pure essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts. Do not use them undiluted, or in the eyes or mucus membranes. If applying an essential oil to the skin, always dilute it with a proper carrier oil and test on a small patch of skin before applying to a large area. Do not take them internally except under the direction of a qualified professional trained in Aromatherapy. Always familiarize yourself with the safety, contraindications and proper preparation of each essential oil before use. Note that when using essential oils for children and the elderly, very low concentrations should be used. Keep all essential oils away from children and pets.